The ACAPS outstanding resident/fellow teacher award has been established recognize exemplary performance by trainees. The award is made to highlight and encourage beginning excellence in teaching and scholarship in the area of plastic surgery education.
This award will be made annually to one resident or fellow who is actively involved in plastic surgery education and who is considered by his/her chair, faculty, students or fellow trainees to be an outstanding teacher. Nominees for this award must possess the qualities of an outstanding teacher which include:
- commitment to teaching
- expert knowledge
- enthusiasm and stimulation of interest
- encouragement of problem solving
- ability to provide feedback and effective evaluation
- role modeling of professional characteristic
- scholarship in education
- openness to new ideas
Eligible trainees will have completed two clinical program years (PGY3 or above at time of nomination).
- Nominations will be solicited annually
- Nominations will be made by the Program Director, Associate Program Director or equivalent (Chair of the Department, Director of Surgical Education, etc.) Two supporting letters must accompany the nomination of which at least one must be from a resident or fellow in the program.
- The nomination package should include the following:
- A nomination letter from the Program Director or equivalent and two supporting letters. The letters must include examples of how the nominee has demonstrated the qualities listed above.
- A copy of the nominee's CV
|June||Request for nominations sent by ACAPS President|
|Mid-September||Deadline for receipt of nominations|
|Mid-September – Mid-January||Deliberations of the Awards Committee|
|Mid-January||Winners selected and notified. ACAPS President notified by Committee Chair|
|Spring Retreat||Winner announced – award given|
|2020 – 2021:||Sarah Lyon, MD, University of Wisconsin
Shane Morrison, MD, University of Michigan
|2019 – 2020:||Keli Kolegraff, Johns Hopkins|
|2018 – 2019:||Francesco Egro, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center|